Anglesey (Welsh: Ynys Môn) is an island situated on the north coast of Wales. With an area of 276 square miles (715 km2), Anglesey is by far the largest island in Wales and the seventh largest in the British Isles.
There are several small towns scattered around the island, making it quite evenly populated. The largest are Holyhead, Llangefni, Benllech, Menai Bridge, and Amlwch. Beaumaris, in the east of the island, features Beaumaris Castle, built by Edward I.
The ferry port of Holyhead handles more than 2 million passengers each year. The Menai Suspension Bridge, designed by Thomas Telford in 1826, and the Britannia Bridge span the Menai Strait to connect Anglesey with the mainland.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll or Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll is a large village on Anglesey. The name has been alternately shortened (Llanfairpwll) and lengthened (Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch), and is also known as Llanfair PG.
The long form of the name was invented for promotional purposes in the 1860s. With 58 characters, it is the longest place name in Europe and the second longest official one-word place name in the world.
The Anglesey Sea Zoo, located just outside the village of Brynsiencyn, is a popular tourist attraction, providing a descriptive look at local marine wildlife from common lobsters to congers.
The island’s entire rural coastline has been designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and features many sandy beaches, especially along its eastern coast between the towns of Beaumaris and Amlwch and along the western coast from Ynys Llanddwyn through Rhosneigr to the little bays around Carmel Head.
The Anglesey Coastal Path follows the entire way around the island. It is 124 miles (200 km) long and passes by/through 20 towns/villages from its official starting point at St Cybi’s Church, Holyhead.
Anglesey, one of the historic counties of Wales was administered as part of Gwynedd, but along with Holy Island and other smaller islands, it is now governed by the Isle of Anglesey County Council.
The majority of Anglesey’s inhabitants are Welsh speakers and Ynys Môn, the Welsh name for the island, is used for the UK Parliament and National Assembly constituencies. The population at the 2011 census was 69,751.
Anglesey hosted the National Eisteddfod in 1957, 1983, 1999, and 2017.
- Anglesey Motor Racing Circuit
- Anglesey Sea Zoo near Dwyran
- Beaumaris Castle and Gaol
- Cribinau – tidal island with 13th Century church
- Elin’s Tower (Twr Elin) – RSPB reserve and the lighthouse at South Stack (Ynys Lawd) near Holyhead
- King Arthur’s seat – near Beaumaris
- Malltraeth – centre for bird life and home of wildlife artist Charles Tunnicliffe
- Moelfre – fishing village
- Parys Mountain – copper mine dating to the early Bronze Age
- Penmon – priory and dovecote
- Skerries Lighthouse – at the end of a low piece of submerged land, north-east of Holyhead
- Stone Science Museum – privately run fossil museum near Pentraeth
- Swtan longhouse and museum – owned by the National Trust and managed by the local community
- Working windmill – Llanddeusant
- Ynys Llanddwyn (Llanddwyn Island) – tidal island